Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Death Barged In

Today I heard a poem that I just have to share with all of you. This was written by Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno. I heard her read it on NPR during an interview. She recently published a book of poems about the murder of her daughter 6 years ago. Read more about her book here. I think I'll go out and buy it.

Death Barged In

In his Russian greatcoat
slamming open the door
with an unpardonable bang,
and he has been here ever since.
He changes everything,
rearranges the furniture,
his hand hovers
by the phone;
he will answer now, he says;
he will be the answer.
Tonight he sits down to dinner
at the head of the table
as we eat, mute;
later, he climbs into bed
between us.

Even as I sit here,
he stands behind me
clamping two
colossal hands on my shoulders
and bends down
and whispers to my neck,
From now on,
you write about me.


For me this poem spoke to me in the same way that An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination did. All I can think afterwards is yes.

10 comments:

  1. That gave me shivers. Absolutely stunningly perfect. A thousand times Yes.

    Thank you for sharing it, Mol, I'm totally ordering it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely yes. As Angie said, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard the interview as well. The poems are raw, beautiful, and thought provoking. There is one about light that was also powerful. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very good poem, thanks Molly. It's goosebumps inducing for sure.

    xx Ines

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this poem, thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Powerful - thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. He barges in and changes everything. Too true. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this, Molly. It hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree - all there is to say is "Yes".

    ReplyDelete